CS 545: Database Seminar - Spring Quarter 1997
Fridays, 3:15 - 4:30
Gates building, Room B12
We will focus on database and web type interaction, often with a view
of what is needed for new initiatives. Areas of interest will include the
use of DBs in Genomics and other rapidly developing areas.
Planned schedule for CS545
- Friday April 4: Speaker: Jim Horning from Intertrust; Topic: Electronic
Commerce in Intellectual Property.
- Friday April 11: Speaker Mike Walker/Tod Klingler at Incyte, Topic:
Database Use in Genomics. Issues in database
development and data mining for genomic data at Incyte.
- Friday April 18: Speaker: Mark Stefik, Xerox PARC, Topic:
Language Design meets Law in Motion meets
Social Issues meets Commerce in Digital Publishing
- Friday April 25: Speaker: Anthony Kosky, Lawrence Berkeley
National Laboratory, Topic:
Transforming Databases with Recursive
- Friday May 2: Speaker: Shalom Tsur, Hitachi, Topic: Dynamic Itemset Counting (DIC).
- Friday May 9 Speaker: Anthony Tomasic, Inria, France; Topic:
Partial Answers for Unavailable Data Sources .
- Friday May 16: Speaker: Leonid Kalinichenko, Russian Academy of Sciences,
Topic: Development of Semantically Interoperable Information Systems
- Friday May 23: Speaker: Lutz Wegner, Universitaet Gesamthochschule
Kassel, Gemany; Topic: Interface Issues in the ESCHER Visual Database Editor.
- Friday May 30: Speaker: Peter Karp, AI Center, SRI International; Topic: Knowledge-Base Management Tools for Constructing a Knowledge Base of Biochemical Pathways .
- Friday June 6: Speaker: Victor M. Markowitz, Berkeley National Lab
; Topic: Developing and Exploring
Scientific Databases with the OPM Data Management Tools.
End of Schedule, Happy Summer Break