Subject: Annotated reading list in HTML

From: Oscar Firschein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 96 7:21:29 PST

<!Doctype html public "-//W3O//DTD/ W3 HTML 2.0//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD> <TITLE>CS545I References </TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY>
<H1>  CS 545I - Advanced Image Databases, W 95/96</H1>
<H2>References</H2>

Recommended reading for Advanced Image Databases
(hardcopies of papers will be brought to the class)

The book we recommend (has several sections on content based retrieval
for image and video DB - the only book to address this topics to my
knowledge) is<BR>

Furht, Smoliar, and Zhang:
<i>Video and Image Processing in Management Systems</i>;
  Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL.
Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995  (ABOUT $150!)
<P>
Papers:
<OL>
<LI> Pentland et al:
Photobook:  Tools for Content-Based Manipulation of Image Databases;
   Perceptual Computing Section, The Media laboratory,
   MIT, Cambridge, MA 02139,
<i>SPIE</i>, Storage and Retrieval Image and Video Databases II, No. 2185,
Feb 1994

Describes Photobook, a set of interactive tools for browsing and searching
images and image sequences.  Direct search on image content is made possible
by the use of <i>semantics-preserving<i> image compression.  The paper
describes three Photobook tools, one that allows search based on grey-level
appearance, one that uses 2-D shape, and a third that allows search based on
textural properties.

<LI> Petkovic et al:
Recent Applications of IBM's Query by Image Content (QBIC);
  IBM Almaden Research Center,
  San Jose, CA 95120-6099,
<i>SAC '96</i>, 5 pp.

Present a  brief overview of QBIC technology and products, and a summary of
some applications.

<LI>Faloutsos et qal:
Efficient and Effective Querying by Image Content;
<i>Journal of Intelligent Information Systems</i>, 3, 231-262(1994)

An excellent technical paper describing the IBM QBIC system, giving details
of the image features and distance functions, indexing details, and
experiments on the effectiveness of QBIC. Two problems are specifically
addressed, non-Euclidean distance measures and the high dimensionality of
feature vectors.

<LI>no author listed:
<i>IBM Database 2 Version 2, Relational Extenders</i>; 4pp., 1995?

A brief description of several extenders forIBM's DB2, including text, image,
video, audio, and fingerprint extenders.

<LI>Okon, C.:
IBM's Image Recognition Tech for Databases at Work:  QBIC or not QBIC?;
<i>Advanced Imaging Magazine</i>,  pp. 63-65, May, 1995.

A short, breezy, layman's view of QBIC.

<LI>Holt, B. & Hardwick, L.:
Retrieving Art Images by Image Content:  the UC Davis QBIC Project;
<i>Aslib Proceedings</i>, Vol 46, n. 10,  October, 1994, pp. 243-248.

Describes the construction of a pilot database for retrieving art images
based on what they look like, rather than relying on text indexing. Uses IBM
QBIC as the search engine. Preliminary findings of the project are presented.

<LI>Hafner et al:
Efficient Color Histogram Indexing for Quadratic From Distance Functions;
  IBM Almaden Research Center,
  San Jose, Ca 95120-6099,
<i>IEEE Trans. PAMI</i>, Vol. 17, N.7, pp. 729-736, July 1995.

In image retrieval based on color, the weighted distance between color
histograms of two images, represented as a quadratic form, may be defined as
a match measure.  However, this distance measure is computationally
expensive, and it operates on high-dimensional features. This paper proposes
the use of low-dimensional, simple-to-computer distance measures between the
color distributions, and shows that these are lower bounds on the histogram
distance measure
.
<LI>Aigrain, P.:
Image and Sound Digital Libraries Need More Than Storage and Networked
Access;
  Institut de Recherche en Informatique de Toulouse,
  Universite Paul Sabatier, 118 route de Narbonne, 31062 Toulouse Cedex,
France, 7 pp.

Good general paper that argues for the need for content-based retrieval,
content-skimming and abstracted representations, and content-based user
interfaces for interactive viewing and listening.

<LI>Pentland et al:
View-Based and Modular Eigenspaces for Face Recognition;
   Perceptual Computing Section, The Media laboratory,
   MIT, Cambridge, MA 02139
<i>IEEE CVPR</i>, 1994, 11pp.

This paper describes experiments with <i>eigenfaces</i> for recognition,
verification, and interactive search in a large-scale face database.  In
mathematical terms, they find the principal components of the distribution of
faces, or the eigenvectors of the covariance matrix of the set of face
images.  These eigenvectors can be thought of as a set of features which
together characterize the variation between face images. The eigenvector can
be displayed as a sort of ghostly face which is called an <i>eigenface</i>.
Questions of overall accuracy and sensitivity to orientation, scale, and
illumination are addressed.

<LI>Tamura et al:
Image Database Systems: a Survey;
  Electrotechnical Laboratory,
  1 1-4 Umezono, Sakura-mura, Niihar-gu, Ibaraki 305, Japan
<i>Pattern Recognition</i>, vol. 17, n. 1, 1984, pp 29-43.

Although an old paper, this survey still provides an excellent summary of
image database systems.  

<LI>Jacobs et al:
Fast Multiresolution Image Querying;
  Department of Computer Science and Engineering
  University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195-2350
<i>ACM SIGGRAPH 1995</i>, 11 pp.,
<i>Computer</i> Graphics Proceedings, Annual Conference Series, 1995.

Presents a method for searching in an image database using a query image that
is similar to the intended target. The query image may be a hand-drawn sketch
or a scan of the image to be retrieved. The searching algorithm makes use of
multiresolution wavelet decompositions of the query and database images.  The
coefficients of these decompositions are distilled into small "signatures"
for each image, and an "image query metric" operates on these signatures. 
Experiment with hundreds of queries in databases of 1000 and 20,000 images
show dramatic improvement, in both speed and success rate, over using
conventional norms..
<LI>Liu et al:

Periodicity, Directionality and Randomness:  Wold Features for
Perceptual Pattern Recognition;
   Perceptual Computing Section, The Media laboratory,
   MIT, Cambridge, MA 02139<i>
Proceedings of the 12th ICPR</i> 6pp., Jerusalem, Israel,  October, 1994.

In applications such as image retrieval, it is important that features used
by the system in pattern comparison provide good measures of "perceptual
similarity." A new set of features and an image model are presented based on
the three mutually orthogonal components produced by the 2-D Wold
decomposition of random fields.  The effectiveness of the new Wold features
for retrieving perceptually similar natural textures is demonstrated.

<LI>Cawkell, A.:
Picture-queries and Picture Databases;
 Citech, Ltd., Iver, Bucks, UK,
<i>Journal of Information Science</i>, 19 (1993) pp. 409-423, pub. Elsevier.

A non-mathematical exposition of existing image database systems, indexing by
query pictures, examples of query-image systems, and database organization.

<LI>Gong et al:
An Image Database System with Content Capturing and Fast Image Indexing
Abilities;
  School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering,
  Nanyang Technological University, Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 2263.
<i>IEEE Int. Conf on Multimedia, Computing, and Systems</i>, Boston, May
1994, 10 pp.

Describes a system very similar to QBIC, using both keywords and image
properties in the query.  

<LI>Barber et al:
Efficient and Effective Querying by Image Content; 
  IBM Almaden Research Center,
  San Jose, Ca 95120-6099,
<i>Journal of Intelligent Information Systems</i>, 3, pp 231-262 Kluwer,
1994.

A set of features and similarity measures allowing query by image content are
described, along with the QBIC system.  The effectiveness of the system with
normalized precision and recall experiments is demonstrated. The problems of
non-Euclidean distance measures and high dimensionality of feature vectors
are specifically addressed

<LI>Zhang et al:
Automatic parsing of News Video;
  Institute of Systems Science, National University of Singapore,
<i>IEEE Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems</i>, Boston, May,
1994.

Video content parsing is possible when one has an <i>a priori</i> model of
the structure of a video based on domain knowledge.  This paper presents work
on using domain knowledge to parse the content of news video programs.
Approaches have been developed for locating and identifying frame structure
models based on temporal and spatial structure of news video data, along with
algorithms to apply these models in parsing news video. Expereimental results
are discussed in detail.

<LI>Jain, R. et al:
Workshop Report:  NSF-ARPA Workshop on Visual Information Management
Systems, 20 pp.;
  Electrical and Computer Engineering,
  University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093-0407.

Summarizes results of a workshop held on June 19, 1995 in the areas of visual
information systems, image databases, video databases, and infrastructure. 
Issues and research topics for each of these areas are indicated. For
bibliography, see http://www.virage.com/vir-res/
</OL>

</BODY>
</HTML>