Professor George Forsythe
Professor George Forsythe, Founder and First Chairman of the Stanford CSD
Display of Forsythe PhD student's names in front of Polya Hall
Polya Hall was first location of CSD. We also display a picture of
Mrs. Forsythe. On this web page we show also the directory of the Numerical
Analysis Group, after it moved to Serra House for the academic year 1977-78.
(The building has since been
moved to another spot on campus to make space for the heating plant)
(courtesy of Chuck Romine, a grandstudent of Prof. Forsythe and Mike Heath,
a student of Prof. Golub).
The list of Forsythe's students, and their students, is available
A list of Golub's students, and their students, is also available
There are several
most still under construction.
Lightning Calculator [Forsythe] (~1950)
The 7 digit calculator shown here was owned by Prof. Forsythe.
It is derived from Blaise Pascal's Pascaline, designed in 1642.
Addition is performed by inserting a stylus into the hole
of one of the digit wheels, corresponding to the digit value to be added,
and turning the wheel to a stop, much like a rotary telephone.
The wheels have a carry mechanism to the next digit position.
Lightning calculators were produced in Los Angeles, CA since 1908.
The model shown is a late model, and features a lever on the
right-hand side that allowed the totals to be reset to zero.