(Ms) Voy Wiederhold
Prepared 31 March 1997
Home address: 601 Van Ness Av., #748, San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: 415 851-8363 or 415 851-8367 (msg)
Electronic mail: Voy@db.stanford.edu
Web Page: http://infolab.stanford.edu/people/voy.html
Undergraduate school: BA (1957) in Mathematics and Physics
Douglass College (Rutgers University), New Brunswick, NJ
Graduate school: MA (1962), Math-Science Education
Columbia University, New York, NY
Pi Mu Epsilon (Honorary Math Society)
Coordinating the establishment of a computer history
museum for the Stanford Computer Science Department, in cooperation with the Boston Computer Museum. Coordinator for the project which includes raising money, getting the cabinets built, choosing the exhibit topics, and preparing the exhibits. Museum is scheduled to open in September, 1997.
3/1995-10/1995 : Programmer/Technical Writer Center for Health Care Evaluation,
VA Medical Center, Menlo Park, CA
Part of a group to write a database resource guide describing VA's Decentralized Hospital Computer Program (DHCP) used in all VA medical centers. Since the VA hospital in Menlo Park is a mental facility, issues of security in the medical records was very important. Access to patient's medical records was carefully guarded . Only primitive security software exists in the DHCP system. Did some statistical studies to compare the quality of data being entered in some VA hospitals.
3/1995 Conference Coordinator, Computer Science Dept., Stanford University
Coordinated a conference, SciCADE '95, for the SCCM (Scientific Computing and Computational Models) program of the Computer Science Department. This involved getting about 285 scientists from around the world, including Russian, China, etc.) to a four day conference at Stanford to present scientific papers. Was responsible for the entire conference with a committee of five who helped in the planning, paper selection, presentations, food, social events.
1991-1994 Took time off since husband became program manager at DARPA in Washington, DC.
1977-1991 Computer Programmer Analyst, Dept of Cardiovascular Surgery, Stanford Medical School
Programmer for the department. Designed statistical studies with data extracted from medical records. Helped in the writing of conference presentations and journal articles. Privacy of the patients' medical records a major consideration. Trained new resident physicians each year in methods of acquiring data to maintain patient privacy, integrity of the databases, and the quality of the statistics produced.
2/ 1975 Contributor to a symposium on "Second Careers for Women" with Alexandra Forsythe.
1966-1974 Instructor, ACME (Advanced Computer System for Medical Research),
Stanford Medical School, Stanford CA.
Taught physicians and medical staff how to use the ACME system, which was an on-line, time-sharing, and real-time system, developed at Stanford. Wrote two computer manuals for the system.
1964-1966 Computer Programmer, III, Health Sciences Computer Facility UCLA, Los Angeles
Programmed some of the statistical programs in the BMD Statistical Package.
1962-1964 Computer Programmer, II, Department of Biostatistics, University of California, Berkeley
Data analysis, statistical programming over large databases.
1957-1962 Assistant Engineer, Exxon Corporation, Florham Park, New Jersey
Designed various types of oil-refineries using instructions laid out in the company 'Blue Book'. Subsequently, computerized these instructions into an automatic system.
Summers while in college:
1953-1957 Technical Aide, Bell Telephone Labs, New York
Various clerical jobs, Western Electric Company, New York
- Beattie, Martha, Buxton, E., Wiederhold, V., "Resource Guide to the Decentralized Hospital Computer Program (DHCP)", Veterans Administration Hospital, Palo Alto, CA, 1996.
- Gao, S.Z., Alderman, E.L., Schroeder, J.S., Hunt., S.A., Wiederhold, V., Stinson, E.B.: 'Progressive Coronary Luminal Narrowing after Cardiac Transplantation'; Circulation 82 (Suppl. IV), 1990.
- Gao, S.Z., Hunt, S.A., Wiederhold, V., Schroeder, J.S.: 'Characteristics of Serial Electrocardiograms in Heart Transplant Recipients'.; Am. Heart Journal, 1990.
- Gao, S.Z., Schroeder, J.S., Alderman., E.L., Hunt.,S.A., Valentine,H.A., Wiederhold, V., Stinson,E.B.: 'Prevalence of Accelerated Coronary Artery Disease in Heart Transplant Survivors'; Circulation 80 (Suppl.III), pp.100 to 105, 1989.
- Gao, S.Z., Schroeder, J.S., Alderman E.L., Hunt., S.A., Silverman,J.F., Wiederhold,V., Stinson, E.B.: 'Clinical and Laboratory Correlates of Accelerated Coronary Artery in the Cardiac Transplant Patient'; Circulation 76 (Suppl.V), V56-V61, 1987.
- Wiederhold, V., Chee, L.H., Burke, C., Theodore, J., Stinson, E., Wiederhold, G.: 'Comparison of Two Database Systems for Heart-Lung Transplant Data'; Computers in Cardiology Conference, IEEE Computer Society, 1984.
- Wiederhold, Voy and Alexandra Forsythe, "Computer Science and Data Processing", in Second Careers for Women, Vol. II, (ed. by Jane Fairbank and Helen Bryson), pp. 7-17, Feb.,1975.