Being Updated regularil;y during the course. Initially mainly reflected last year!.
See the information page for general information on CS446.
Textbook: Bruce Blum: Software Engineering, A Holistic View; Oxford 1992. Provides basic definition, a philosophical overview by a person with much experience.
Other Course Material: Bibliography from a wide variety of sources, including evaluations of successful and failed large software projects.
3. Oct.2 Discussion of course work, reading list. Architectural
concepts and Architecture Description languages: Luckham.
Mediated (distributed) Architectures: Wiederhold.
Read Blum, Chapter 2.
-- Oct.4 CS545 (in Gates B12): David Beech from Oracle on
4. Oct.7 Software Engineering Education and Case Studies at the ETH Zurich, Switzerland, Prof. Carl-August Zehnder. Host Dr. Louis Perrochon.
The brochure of ETH Zurich is available in Gates 446 or < online at http://www.inf.ethz.ch/ >. [Gio, David in Dallas]
5. Oct.9 Mega programming. Wiederhold Handout W:92 paper. Some viewgraphs under topic megaprogramming.
6. Oct.14 Rapid prototyping of System Architectures: Event-based techniques: Luckham. 1995 Note 8. [Gio out]
7. Oct.16 Modelling and Analysis of Standards, HLA, X/Open DTP transaction standard, demo?: Luckham and Kenney. A related book review Libicki: Information Technology Standards. 1995 brief Note and table 15.) [Gio out]
-- Oct.20 Add deadline
8. Oct.21 The Rapide System. David Luckham. Notes 8.
A Rapide toolset should be installed on the Elaine CS446 directory by Wed Oct 23rd or Thurs Oct 24th. You should be able to login to an Elaine machine and cd to the directory /usr/rapide/
Class Homework exercise: You are an Alpha Toolset test customer for a new system! Read the README's in /usr/rapide/ carefully and try to follow at least one of the three teaching examples. These examples have several parts to them. Write a short report on what you were able to do, and what difficulties you experienced. Due: Wed Oct 30th.
-- Oct.22 Drop deadline. Have your report topic in hand.
9. Oct.23 Computer Industry Project Study: Avron Barr and Shirley Tessler. Read Blum, Chapter 6. 1995 Notes. [Gio out, David out] Host: Ron Burback.
10. Oct.28 Design models, the Chaos model: Ron Burback 1995 Note 6. 3 abstracts on Complex Software
11. Oct.30 Mediated Architectures. Gio Wiederhold 1995 Note 14.)
; followed by The Internet, Past, Present and Future, Brian Reid, DEC Research Labs (EE280). 12. Nov.4 Discussion on Patents and Copyrights. Wiederhold.
CS Colloquium Nov.5, 4:15 Gates B01: Policy Issues Presented By Technological Protection for Copyrighted Works, Professor Pamela Samuelson
13. Nov.6 open. Rapide Homework due.
-- Nov.10 Gradetype change deadline
14. Nov.11 Discussion on testing [Wiederhold].
15. Nov.13 Will Tracz on reuse
16. Nov.18 System of Systems [Luckham].
The year 2000 problem [Wiederhold].
17. Nov.20 Neomas: the complexity of software [Burback].
-- Nov.24 Withdrawal deadline
18. Nov.25 Distributed Architecture Description Language [Bruback]. Penguin project: Mapping relations and structural models into objects [Wiederhold].
19. Nov.27 No class due to Thanksgiving.
Today or soon.
20. Dec.2 Notes
The business of composition. Revenue collection for software module purchase, lease, use. Gio Wiederhold and Wayne Lim.
Mediator glossary.) Student presentation: Vilhelm Heilberg on testing [David out]
21. Dec.4 Student presentations: Lori Fraleigh on Risk Management, Briant lent on Reliability. Discussion: Experience with project courses, what should a Software course sequence at Stanford cover.
22. Dec.6 Final reports due. Hand in to Marianne Siroker, Gates 436, or by email to Gio. No final exam.
Graded reports will be returned the first week of the Winter Quarter.
(Composition technology: Dale Skeen. 1995 Note 10
(Role of Standards: with Carl Cargill)
(Domain-specific Software: Mike Lowry. 1995 brief Note 17.)
(Mediation, matchmaking, facilitators: Dan Kuokka. 1995 Brief Note 18.)
(Knowledge-based Software Engineering: Debellis @Andersen
1995 brief Note with GIF
images of the slides 16 (note: GIFs print very slowly).
His presentation slides in postscript.
later version of his presentation
slides in postscript. )
(The Taligient Business Model: Doug Doyle.) [unlikely]
Software Maturity metrics: Larry Druffel (SEI) [contacted, possible]
1995 Note 13.)
(Tools for Software Reengineering: Valdis Berzins, NPGS.
1995 Note 12.)