29 March 1995, updated 16 April 1995, restored Sep 2003, updated Sep 2004. May 2005, March 2009.
PhD STUDENT THESES SUPERVISED
Most students also appear in the
Gio's Academic descendants are listed
as part of the Stanford CS faculty student trees.
Gio's Academic ancestors and mentors, back to 1000AD, have
been collected and were listed in (Gio's academic ancestors and mentors), but that tree is no longer being maintained.
An alternate tree, in (reverse chronological order) makes it easier to track those
academic ancestors and mentors. It uses the STYLE directive of HTML, which does not seem to work on all browsers.
The file looks best on the Safari browser, but the contents is ok on others.
Date completed student: title. (employment)
- 1979 Hector Garcia-Molina (CS): Performance of Update Algorithms for Replicated Data in a Distributed Database. (Professor at Princeton Univ.; Stanford Univ. ).
- 1979 John Shoch -- with Dr. Robert Metcalfe (CS): Design and Performance of Local Computer Networks. (Xerox Development Div.; Menlo Associates )
- 1980 Ramez El-Masri (CS): On the Design, Use, and Integration of Data Models. (Honeywell Research; Assistant Prof, Houston; Associate Professor at Univ.of Texas, Arlington ).
- 1980 David Eliot Shaw (CS): Knowledge-Based Retrieval on a Relational Database Machine. (Assistant Professor at Columbia Univ.; Morgan Stanley; David Shaw Ass., NYC ).
- 1980 Toshimi Minoura -- with Professor Susan Owicki (EE): Resilient Extended True-Copy Token Algorithm for Distributed Database Systems. (Assistant, Associate Professor at USC; Professor at Oregon State Univ. ).
- 1981 Jonathan Jay King (CS): Query Optimization by Semantic Reasoning. (Hewlett-Packard; Symantec; Teknowledge; Sun Microsystems. deceased ).
- 1981 Robert L. Blum, MD (IDP): Discovery and Representation of Causal Relationships from a Large Time-Oriented Clinical Database: The RX Project. (Kaiser Permanente Foundation ).
- 1982 Erik J. Gilbert (CS): Algorithm Partitioning Tools for a High-Performance Multiprocessor. (Daisy Systems ).
- 1983 Kyu Young Whang (CS): A Physical Design Methodology Using the Property of Separability. (IBM Research, Yorktown; Professor KAIST, Seoul, Tanchen ).
- 1983 Jim E. Davidson (CS): Interpreting Natural Language Database Updates. (Teknowledge; Liberate ).
- 1983 Neil Charles Rowe (CS): Rule-based Statistical Calculations on a Database Abstract. Associate Professor, Naval Postgraduate School, Montrey CA ).
- 1983 James F. Brinkley, MD (IDP): Ultrasonic Three-dimensional Organ Modeling. (Professor, Depts of Biological Structures and Computer Science, Univ. of Washington, Seattle ).
- 1984 Ricardo G. Kortas, MD -- with Professor Roger Winkle (IDP): The Effective ST-Segment: A Unified Approach to ST-Segment Analysis. (Hospital Beneficncia Portuguesa, Sao Paulo m inc).
- 1985 Arthur M. Keller (CS): Updating Databases through Views.(Assistant Professor at Univ.of Texas, Austin; Research Associate at Stanford, Booz-Allen-ADS; Senior Research Scientist, Stanford University; Consultant and UC Santa Cruz ).
- 1986 Marianne S. Winslett (CS): Updating Databases with Incomplete Information. (Professor, Univ. Illinois, Champaign-Urbana ).
- 1987 Edwin P.D. Pednault -- with Robert C. Moore, SRI (EE): A Theory of Classical Planning and its Application to Plan Synthesis. (ATT Bell Laboratories; IBM Watson Labs ).
- 1987 CharLin Koo -- with Boyd C. Paulson, jr, Civ.Eng (IDP): A Distributed Model for Performance Systems: Synchronizing Plans Among Intelligent Agents via Communication. (Teknekron, Berkeley CA; Intellisys, Taiwan and Palo Alto, CA ).
- 1989 Arun Swami (CS): Optimization of Large Join Queries in Main Memory Database Systems. (IBM Research, Almaden; Silicon Graphics, Xerox Parc ).
- 1989 Linda deMichiel, PhD (CS): The Semantic Mediation of Operations Across Disparate Domains. (IBM Research, Almaden; SUN Microsystems ).
- 1989 Xiaolei Qian (CS): Constraint-based Synthesis of Database Transactions. (Kestrel Institute; ATT Bell Laboratories; SRI International; SecureSoft; Vitria; Oracle ).
- 1990 Peter Rathmann (CS): Nonmonotonic Semantics for Partitioned Knowledge Bases. (Stanford Un.; Petrovision, Silicon Graphics, Google ).
- 1990 Thierry Barsalou, M.D. (MIS): View Objects for Relational Databases. (IBM Yorktown; Ciba-Geigy Research, Basel; Planet Medica; Aptilon; ).
- 1990 Byung Suk Lee (CS): Efficiently Instantiating Objects from Remote Relational Databases through Views. (Bellcore Research; Assistant Professor, St.Thomas Un., Minneapolis; Professor, U Vermont ).
- 1991 Shaibal Roy (CS): Parallel Execution of Joins. (Shell Oil Research, Houston; Sybase; Portala Communications, Netscape; consultant ).
- 1991 Sang K. Cha (EE): Kaleidscope: Knowledge-based Menu Generation for Natural Language Queries (Korea National University ).
- 1991 Keith Hall (CS): Managing Inconsistency in a Design Database.(IBM Heidelberg; private consultant and dozent).
- 1995 Waqar Hasan (CS, HP): Optimizing Parallel Distributed Data Access (Informix Software; DBwizards ).
- 1998 Julie Basu -- with Arthur Keller (CS): Indexing Materialized Views (Oracle ).
- 1998 Ron Burback (CS):
Watersluice Software Methodology (ccRewards; consulting ).
- 2000 James Z. Wang (MIS): Image Analysis (Penn.State ).
- 2001 Jan Jannink (CS): Towards Resolution of
Semantic Differences in Ontologies (Gigabeat, Napster ).
- 2001 Joseph Norman -- with Michael Higgins (MIS): Algebraic
Approach to High-dimensional Sensitivity Analysis.
- 2003 David Liu -- with Kincho Law (CEE): Distributed Data Flow in
Autonomous Service Composition (McKinsey).
- 2004 Prasenjit Mitra (EE): An Algebra for Ontology Composition (Penn.State).
- 2004 Gloria Lau (CEE) -- coadvisor with Kincho Law (CEE): Analysis
Framework for Semi-Structured Documents, with Applications to Government Regulations.
- 2005 Neal Sample -- Surety-based Scheduling for Megaprograms (eBay).
PhD THESES READER (partial list)
year grad. name (department): Abbreviated thesis title
- 1969 Tom Martin (IS): Information Retrieval System for Physics Preprints (SPIRES) (Syracuse Univ.).
- 1976 John Reiser (CS): Additive Hashing Algorithms.
- 1977 Reid Smith (EE): The Contract Net Protocol (Schlumberger).
- 1977 Alan Borning (CS): Thinglab: A Constraint-oriented Simulation Laboratory (Univ. of Washington).
- 1978 Leonard Shustek (EE): Analysis of Instruction Sets (Network).
- 1978 Phillip Yu (EE): Language-based Hardware System.
- 1979 Yogen Dalal (CS): Update of Replicated Tables by Broadcast.
- 1979 Ruby Lee (EE): Performance of Parallel Processor Organizations.
- 1979 Luis Trabb-Pardo (CS): Set Representation and Set Intersection.
- 1980 Larry Fagan (CS): VM: Time-dependent Relations in Monitoring.
- 1980 William vanMelle (CS): Domain-independent Production System (EMYCIN).
- 1980 David Wall (CS): Mechanisms for Selective Broadcast.
- 1980 Clark Wilcox (CS): A Language Approach to Computer Architecture.
- 1980 Brent Hailpern (CS): Logic for Verifying Concurrent Processes.
- 1981 Sunil Mehta (CE): Infrastructure Dynamics.
- 1981 Thomas Payne (EE): Automated Partitioning of Digital Systems.
- 1981 John Beetem (EE): Design Using Isomorphic Representations.
- 1983 Jorge Phillips (CS): Self-described Programming Environments.
- 1986 Weng Tat Chan (Idp): Constraint-based Engineering Design.
- 1986 Stefan Demetrescu (EE): Scan Line Access Memories.
- 1986 William Thomson (UC Davis): Main Memory Multi-processor Databases.
- 1986 Jock McKinlay (CS): Automatic Graphic Representation (Xerox).
- 1990 Cary Gray (CS): Naming in a Distributed Network.
- 1991 Inderpal Mumick (CS): Magic Sets for Relational Databases.
- 1991 Kathy Morris (CS): Subgoal Ordering in NAIL!
- 1991 Geoffrey Phipps (CS): Deductive Database Algorithms.
- 1991 John Bourg (Aero-Astro-in progress): Computer Control of Machining.
- 1991 Jared Nedzel (Civ.Eng-in progress): Spatial and Geometric Analyzer.
- 1992 Edward Herskovits (MIS): Probabilistic Networks.
- 1993 Douglas Phan (Civ.Eng.): Functional Analysis for Facility Design.
- 1993 Hakan Jakobson (CS): Tree-based Techniques for Query Evaluation.
- 1995 Shailesh Agarwal (EE): Flexible Relations.
- 1995 Vishal Sikka (CS): Information Integration. (Peregrine SW, SAP).
- 1997 Will Tracz (EE): Parameterized Programming in Lileanna. (SEI).
- 1998 Luis Gravano (CS): Text matching on the Internet. (Columbia Univ.)
- 1999 Chen Li (CS): Clustering for Similarity Queries in High-Dimensional Spaces.
- 1999 Sasa Buvac (CS): Lifting Theorems for Circumscription.
- 2000 Andrew Arnold (Civ.Eng.): Integration Services for Facilities Design.
- 2000 Diane Oliver, MD (MIS): Ontology Maintenance (PharmGKB).
- 2000 Felix Naumann (Humboldt Univ.): Quality-driven Query Answering (IBM Research).
- 2001 Amar Das (MIS): Resolving Temporal Heterogeneity (Stanford).
- 2002 Stefan Decker (Karlsruhe): Knowledge Representation for the Web (DERI, Ireland).
- 2003 InYoung Ko (USC): GEOWORLDS: Semantically Based Middleware for Web Information Systems.
- 2003 Shawn Kerrigan (CE): Infrastructure for Regulatory Information and Compliance.
- 2003 Sergey Melnick (Leipzig): Model-based Data Management (Micrososft Research).
- 2004 Jim (JinXing) Cheng (CE): Integration of information-providing Software.
- many more
Engineers Theses completed:
- 1977 James Sweet (EE): Criteria and Alternatives for Protecting Data in a
Concurrent Processing Environment.
- 1982 Francis Yen (EE): Analysis of the Use of the Relational Query
Approach, as QBE, to IMS DL/1 Structures
- 1987 Wyatt WeiHung Leung (EE): Processing Goal Queries Using a
- 1993 Bob Constantakis (EE): Recursion in Databases with Computation.
- 2003 Yuechiro Yamashita (EE): Face Recognition for Photo Collections. (Canon).
Medical Information Science Masters Theses Completed:
- 1986 Steven Downs, MD: Summarization of Clinical Records.
- 1987 Isabelle DeZegher-Geets, MD: Graphical Summarization of Clinical
- 1987 Mark Frisse, MD: Hypertext Representation of a Clinical Textbook (vanderbilt Univ.).