The following is supposed to be a list of "overlooked" movies. Exactly what constitutes "overlooked" is rather fuzzy, since I do not have a very scientific means of estimating what other people think of each movie. The best way to understand what goes into the list is to look at the list itself and infer your own definition. I will however provide the following, potentially helpful guidelines:
- Big-budget movies involving famous people find no place on this list, unless I believe they have been criminally underrated by the then-audience/critics.
- Art-house classics which grace critics' top-10 lists are also generally omitted, again with some exceptions.
- Old movies whose merit or existence is unknown to the modern-day moviegoer, but which were hardly overlooked when released, are not included here either.
- Ditto for old or recent popular "foreign films".
- The typical member on this list is a movie (quality ranging anywhere between good and great) which rarely finds mention in everyday movie conversation and is in danger of fading from the public consciousness forever --- unless corrective measures, such as their inclusion in an overlooked-film list, are applied.
- If you think a certain movie does not belong on this list because it is not overlooked, do send me e-mail. If a movie gets a sufficient amount of "unvoting", I will remove it from the list.